Simple Noise Reduction

For "how to do this" questions and answers, notes, instructions
emmpet8
Knight

Simple Noise Reduction

Post by emmpet8 »

I know a lot of members prefer the raw files, but particularly with outdoor recordings, I think a bit of noise reduction can help. I like to keep it simple though, so here's how I do it. For the sake of this demo sndprv allowed me to use a short section of his brilliant recording UKCarSex161. The original is over 25 minutes, but I just used 1 minute.

I use Adobe Audition and always work in Spectral view. Here's what the short selection looked like;

CS 01.JPG
Just click to enlarge.

For those who have never seen it before. Frequencies are shown on the right and volume is indicated by the brightness, so you can clearly see where the voice is and the frequency range of it. I've attached the audio, so you can here the original.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by emmpet8 on 16 Oct 2021 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
emmpet8
Knight

Re: Simple Noise Reduction

Post by emmpet8 »

I always start by deleting the lowest and highest frequencies that are outside most adults hearing range. For the purpose of this selection I just deleted above and below the highest and lowest voice frequencies. In this selection it doesn't make much difference, but when conditions are windy it can help a lot. I usually delete below 240Hz and above 4.5k, but not in this case. Here's what it looked like.

CS 02.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

In this version I used the DeNoise preset Light. As this reduces the volume slightly I then added 5db.

CS 03.JPG
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

In this version I used the DeNoise preset Default. As this reduces the volume slightly I then added 5db.

CS 04.JPG
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

I'm not claiming to be an expert, or saying this is the best way to reduce noise, but I have been asked how I do it, so here's my way.

The process only takes a couple of minutes at most. Denoise does have a sophisticated display that you can use to adjust setting, but I never have yet. In most cases I just use the Default preset.

Any suggestions or comments would be welcome, but most of all, does it help at all?
wisper

Post by wisper »

emmpet8 wrote: 16 Oct 2021 12:49 I'm not claiming to be an expert, or saying this is the best way to reduce noise, but I have been asked how I do it, so here's my way.

The process only takes a couple of minutes at most. Denoise does have a sophisticated display that you can use to adjust setting, but I never have yet. In most cases I just use the Default preset.

Any suggestions or comments would be welcome, but most of all, does it help at all?
I have adobe audition now and this helps. I've never used the spectral mode before in any program cause I really didn't understand it or even take the time to learn. Your explanation of it is simple enough.

I appreciate you taking the time to post this.