New Noise Reduction Tool in Audition 2019

For software related questions and answers, notes, instructions
emmpet8
Knight

New Noise Reduction Tool in Audition 2019

Post by emmpet8 »

I haven't moved to Audition 2019 yet, but having watched a sound engineer (not a member of the Adobe team) demonstrate the new NR tool on YouTube, I will be moving soon.

The new tool is called DeNoise and the guy doing the demonstration was very enthusiastic. I must say, that if it works as well as it seemed to, it should be great to use. From what I saw in the 5 minute demonstration, it is a very simple and straightforward process, that seems to do a good job. There is no "Capture Noise Point" and it does that all by itself. You can tell it to concentrate on a certain frequency ranges, or combinations of them and there are presets to use. From there, it is a single slider, while you listen and choose the best setting.

I can not be sure, but the guy seemed to imply that it did not suffer from the odd sound that occur in the standard NR process. The ones that gekko calls; "extra-terrestrial-abductions!" When I have tried it I will say more.
yeppie
Site Admin

Re: New Noise Reduction Tool in Audition 2019

Post by yeppie »

Thank you, emmpet8, that sounds very promising!
Can you share the link to the youtube clip?
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

yeppie wrote: ↑23 Nov 2018 22:15 Thank you, emmpet8, that sounds very promising!
Can you share the link to the youtube clip?
Here's the link from Youtube.

I did see a longer clip from another source earlier in the week and that was what inspired me to look for more info, as it was quite positive, but I can't find the first one that I saw. I intend to download Audition 2019 in the next few days and I will try it out then. I will obviously let the community know how it seems to work for me. If any other members have used it yet, I would love to know what they think of it.
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

I'm not sure what happened there, but I only intended it to be a link, rather than the actual clip. Apologies if this is not acceptable.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

emmpet8 wrote: ↑23 Nov 2018 23:45 I'm not sure what happened there, but I only intended it to be a link, rather than the actual clip. Apologies if this is not acceptable.
Not your "fault" but mine ;-)
Youtube links convert to embedded clips automatically.
It happens intentionally and is welcome.
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

I have updated to Audition 2019 and given DeNoise a quick trial without looking at any tutorials. I am not saying it would work for serious sound engineers, but after only a few minutes of working with it, I am very excited at the prospects.

I opened a file I thought it would have no chance of improving. Set the cursor to a point in the clip where DeNoise would be tested most and opened DeNoise. It was simply then a case of pressing the play button in DeNoise and listening to what it was achieving at it's default settings. I can honestly say that considering how simple it was, for what I would need, I thought it was amazing. I also listened to the sound it was removing and although there were a few bits/hints of sound I would keep if given the choice, I was impressed. As for the NR demons that taunt Gekko with extra-terrestrial-abductions, I did not hear a hint of that. I admit it was only a quick listen and I didn't apply the effect, so do not know how quick, or long, that would take.

I will be testing it in more depth next week and stress that this early optimism is after only testing it for a few minutes. If a few members who visit this thread want to pm me with a link to any sound file, I will use DeNoise (default settings) on it and send the results back, so they can give their opinion. The files do not have to be SSL related, but should be their own. In the unlikely event I get a lot of requests, I will do the first ones received.
edtraveller

Post by edtraveller »

I think it's an exciting prospect - natural sounding voices and NR would be awesome. I only hate NR because it makes the voices sounds synthesized and ironically, magnifies some artifacts to ear piercing levels. I'd still be cautious - to me light traffic and birds chirping outside the window add a background theme and context. To eliminate those is eliminating part of the experience and sterilizing it. Which is great if you're trying to sell a film producer a clean sex sound effect, but not for a voyeur like me.

That said, as a hack and Audacity user (which has terrible NR), I hope you will experiment.. I'd love to see both untouched and denoised to compare..
πŸ§”πŸ‘±β€β™€οΈ=πŸ›=πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«β€πŸ’“πŸ’—πŸ’“πŸ’ž=πŸ˜–πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ₯΄=πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ« =🀰=πŸ‘ΆπŸ‘ΆπŸ‘Ά
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

gekko1 wrote: ↑24 Nov 2018 20:02 I think it's an exciting prospect - natural sounding voices and NR would be awesome. I only hate NR because it makes the voices sounds synthesized and ironically, magnifies some artifacts to ear piercing levels. I'd still be cautious - to me light traffic and birds chirping outside the window add a background theme and context. To eliminate those is eliminating part of the experience and sterilizing it. Which is great if you're trying to sell a film producer a clean sex sound effect, but not for a voyeur like me.

That said, as a hack and Audacity user (which has terrible NR), I hope you will experiment.. I'd love to see both untouched and denoised to compare..
Thanks for the response and I totally agree about the general ambient sounds. As a fellow voyeur, they for me are an essential part of the listening experience. I only updated to it yesterday and other factors have meant that I have been too busy to give it a proper test, but I think your idea of an untouched and denoised comparison is great. I will get round to doing that asap and will post the results when I do.
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

At the suggestion of Gekko I did a sample of DeNoise results. I chose a clip that was recorded on a cheap USB and has a lot of mic noise. The recoding was some distance from an open window, with background traffic noise and even sounds for bird lovers like Gekko :)

As an additional piece of information, each process was very fast, so I tried DeNoise on a 2 hour 150 MB wav file. It took 30 seconds to apply the default NR.

The files are all using the DeNoise presets, although it is possible to set the slider anywhere you want (from 0-100%) while listening, to achieve whatever sounds best suits you. I used the default β€œFocus on All Frequencies” option. Other β€œFocus On” options are: Lower Frequencies; Mid Frequencies; Lower and Higher Frequencies; Higher Frequencies. Here is the non-NR file and I will post the DeNoise ones next.

I would be interested to see what members think when they have listened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

The DeNoise results. Not wanting to influence opinions, I will not comment personally, except on the heavy preset. As far as I am concerned it would not be worth listening to, but I left it in, so members could assess the artifacts issue, that would be very noticeable at 80% in normal NR.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edtraveller

Post by edtraveller »

Well, I am impressed to say the least.

Thank you for including the Heavy Preset - it represents everything I have hated about NR, getting rid of noise in exchange for adding in artificiality.

However, the Light and Default to me sound as natural as the original, and even better.

This is a great find - thank you!
πŸ§”πŸ‘±β€β™€οΈ=πŸ›=πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ˜΅β€πŸ’«β€πŸ’“πŸ’—πŸ’“πŸ’ž=πŸ˜–πŸ’₯πŸ’₯πŸ₯΄=πŸ’¦πŸ’¦πŸ« =🀰=πŸ‘ΆπŸ‘ΆπŸ‘Ά
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

IΒ΄m also impressed, especially by the default version. Great tool, obviously.
Thank you!