A system that would change links to the file in archiv

For your questions and ideas regarding this group
mlee80

A system that would change links to the file in archiv

Post by mlee80 »

yeppie wrote: 11 Jan 2023 22:20
Thomas444 wrote: 11 Jan 2023 20:31 where is the recording what is the file's name
In the archives, please see here:
viewtopic.php?p=86161#p86161

The filename is simply 'roommate.mp3'
For the "wish list":

A system that would change links to archived files to the file in archive for members with access or to a page with explanation of archive system for those without access.

Unlikely to be possible to retrofit for already archived files but might be possible going forward.
Would certainly reduce (but probably not eliminate) the 'wheres the file' posts.
yeppie
Site Admin

Re: Roommate brings guy over

Post by yeppie »

mlee80 wrote: 11 Jan 2023 23:25
Thomas444 wrote: 11 Jan 2023 20:31 where is the recording what is the file's name

For the "wish list":

A system that would change links to archived files to the file in archive for members with access or to a page with explanation of archive system for those without access.

Unlikely to be possible to retrofit for already archived files but might be possible going forward.
Would certainly reduce (but probably not eliminate) the 'wheres the file' posts.
That sounds like a great idea but if I had an idea how to realize this, it would have been done already ... Do you?

The forum and the archive are separated systems, would need a new software written from scratch I think.
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults
mlee80

Post by mlee80 »

yeppie wrote: 11 Jan 2023 23:39
mlee80 wrote: 11 Jan 2023 23:25

For the "wish list":

That sounds like a great idea but if I had an idea how to realize this, it would have been done already ... Do you?

The forum and the archive are separated systems, would need a new software written from scratch I think.
I did a quick glance at the phpBB site and although there is no already implemented extension for something like this there are a number of pieces that might be part of solution or a template for the needed extension.s.
I don't think all new SW would be needed, phpBB is very flexible (and open source) so should be possible to add the functionality.

A simple (sort of) hack might suffice though:
Substitute an "external link' for the file pointing to the file in archive, when a someone clicks on it they would either get to file (if logged in to archive) or get
an Authorization Required error from archive with pointer to login page.
Don't know how files are moved to archive but I get the impression it is not automated so this might be just another step.

Although I can come up with ideas I am not qualified to implement them since I have no phpBB experience. (Or time to learn it.)

Should this be moved to a know-how thread?
Call for volunteers who know what they are doing?
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

mlee80 wrote: 12 Jan 2023 03:14 I did a quick glance at the phpBB site and although there is no already implemented extension for something like this there are a number of pieces that might be part of solution or a template for the needed extension.s.
I don't think all new SW would be needed, phpBB is very flexible (and open source) so should be possible to add the functionality.

A simple (sort of) hack might suffice though:
Substitute an "external link' for the file pointing to the file in archive, when a someone clicks on it they would either get to file (if logged in to archive) or get an Authorization Required error from archive with pointer to login page.
Don't know how files are moved to archive but I get the impression it is not automated so this might be just another step.

Although I can come up with ideas I am not qualified to implement them since I have no phpBB experience. (Or time to learn it.)

Should this be moved to a know-how thread?
Call for volunteers who know what they are doing?
Moved :-)

Your ideas seem plausible, I will put this on my to-think-about and probably on my to-do-list. The biggest hurdle in the implementation wouldn´t be the phpBB expert needed for the programming of the extension but that he (or she) might be needed whenever there is a bigger upgrade.

I have this situation at the moment as PHP switches from 7.4 to 8.something. phpBB should be fine, some of the extensions are not and will be missed afterwards (the likes for instance) and above all the archives source code needs to be worked at by an expert again. The new 'link system' between forum attachments and archived files will add another 'permanent construction site'.

If someone is around who´s really good at this (PHP and phpBB skills), please raise your hand and get in touch. I have orders to place!

I know where to find someone with the needed skills, did this before on Fiverr and it should work again ... actually I will be searching for someone to change the archives to run on PHP 8 in the next weeks. Have to do some serious template editing work on some of the WordPress sites I manage before but that is something I can do on my own :-)
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults