DeNoise Gain Control

For software related questions and answers, notes, instructions
emmpet8
Knight

DeNoise Gain Control

Post by emmpet8 »

I use Denoise a lot and do alter the percentage or other factors quite a bit, but I feel stupid, as I've only just realised the value of the Gain control.

I was applying it to a windy piece of video that for some reason was quite low volume to start with. As DeNoise tends to reduce the volume I added some in Audition before saving. Watching in VLC Player though, I still needed to turn the volume up high.

Using DeNoise on a file just now, I finally noticed the gain control that I had never given a second thought to before. I decided to experiment and it does a great job of boosting the volume to whatever is required as the noise reduction happens.

I feel silly that I missed something so obvious for so long, but glad I have finally realised it's value now.
Ptimec

Re: DeNoise Gain Control

Post by Ptimec »

seul idiot est celui qui ne veut pas apprendre ;-)
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Ptimec wrote: 07 May 2022 20:10 seul idiot est celui qui ne veut pas apprendre ;-)
the only fool is the one who doesn't want to learn that this is an English speaking community ;-)
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults
Ptimec

Post by Ptimec »

yeppie wrote: 07 May 2022 20:34
Ptimec wrote: 07 May 2022 20:10 seul idiot est celui qui ne veut pas apprendre ;-)
the only fool is the one who doesn't want to learn that this is an English speaking community ;-)
Sympa l'accueil. Premier message que j'écris et tu me dénigres ? Je ne suis pas Anglais certes mais je sais faire une traduction de page internet . Je pense que beaucoup d'autre savent le faire également .

Friendly welcome. First message I write and you denigrate me? I am not English of course but I can translate a web page. I think many others can do it too.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Ptimec wrote: 07 May 2022 22:55
yeppie wrote: 07 May 2022 20:34
Sympa l'accueil. Premier message que j'écris et tu me dénigres ? Je ne suis pas Anglais certes mais je sais faire une traduction de page internet . Je pense que beaucoup d'autre savent le faire également .

Friendly welcome. First message I write and you denigrate me? I am not English of course but I can translate a web page. I think many others can do it too.
Well, you denigrated thousands of members by preferring to use your language, not the one we all use here and most of us do understand. I translated your unfriendly message as a service for you and everybody else, included the answer and set a smiley. This wasn´t meant to be demigrating but ironic yet still friendly welcoming.

You have been here for more than a year but still you choose to exclude the vast majority of members from understanding your posting. That´s not only unkind, that could be perceived as arrogancy. As this is an English speaking community, it is up to you to translate your posting, not up to all the others. I like the French language but it is a minor and insignificant language compared to English, in numbers of native and overall speakers.

But your message is true :-)
Ptimec

Post by Ptimec »

This is more of an oversight than an insult. I just wanted to tell empet8 that he is not stupid because it is never too late to learn. I didn't translate because I didn't think about it at the time. It's not like I'm used to it. This was my first post here. Then when I answered you; I did it in French and also in English because I know that I am not the only French here. If this comes across as arrogance then I can't help it. basically I just wanted to be reassuring towards empet8 . Now I would be much more careful.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Welcome Ptimec!
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

Interesting debate about language and thanks for the comments about it never being too late to learn. Back to DeNoise and the Gain control now.

I understand that a lot of technically minded members do not have access to Audition, but for those who do, a question. Apart from Gain control being a one click solution, is there any advantage of using the Gain control over just increasing the volume after using DeNoise? By that, I mean does it give better sound?

In the past, unless it was a multitrack edit, I used the Waveform view, so tended to look at it after any editing and decide if a volume increase would help. If I decided it did need a boost, I would simply go to recorded Favorites and choose from +5dB, +10dB, or a combination, until the level looked reasonable. As I have said, apart from the one click aspect, are there any opinions on why one way of increasing volume is better than the other?

It might be worth noting that DeNoise has three pre-sets (Light, Default and Heavy) and when changing from one to another the Gain control always remains at 0dB.