Audacity : Reduce AC noise

For "how to do this" questions and answers, notes, instructions
StaggerLee

Audacity : Reduce AC noise

Post by StaggerLee »

anyone have some tips on reducing the AC noise from a file? I am using Audacity and if there are any step by steps that would be awesome.
cumfan

Re: Audacity : Reduce AC noise

Post by cumfan »

Hi, every recording (and recorder) is different so there's not really one perfect setting that fits always. If you post the original here usually a few volunteers can try their best and can surely share their settings afterwards 😉
sponnyroad

Post by sponnyroad »

Post the file and I can try to remove it for you.
StaggerLee

Post by StaggerLee »

here is the file, the only editing i did was trimm the front of the file off as it is just sleeping.

AC noise starts at 4 minutes and ends at 13:44
sponnyroad

Post by sponnyroad »

StaggerLee wrote: 10 Aug 2023 15:32 here is the file, the only editing i did was trimm the front of the file off as it is just sleeping.

AC noise starts at 4 minutes and ends at 13:44
Ok working on it tonight!

Any backstory about the file?
StaggerLee

Post by StaggerLee »

Vacation with sister in law. Room across the hall. Bummer was that the upstairs where the room were had window air. The day was spent on the lake, followed by dinner and drinks. After coming back to the cabin, more drinks and games ensued. We all headed to our rooms.
emmpet8
Knight

Post by emmpet8 »

Apologies if this isn't much help, but I use Audition rather than Audacity, so not sure how similar or different they are.

In Audition I use Waveform view (It shows the volume of frequencies in colours. The brighter the yellow, the louder that frequency). In your file you can easily see where the AC starts and stops. It's also clear that there is a very loud burst of lower frequency AC sound from 5.32 to 10.42. Apart from that the loudest section of the AC is from 190 Hz to 420 Hz.

To return to your original question, here's the very simple two step method I used with Audition.

I deleted all sound with a frequency below 250 HZ and above 4K Hz.

I used the default Denoise setting on the section where all the AC is active.

I obviously could have tweaked different frequencies/areas, using different settings to improve results, but wanted to keep it very simple to see if it helped. You can judge for yourself if it did, as I have attached the results.
StaggerLee

Post by StaggerLee »

Thank you for that information. It is very helpful and the file is much improved. I agree there could still be more tweaks made.
reggind
Knight

Post by reggind »

Thank you for cleaning the file up. AC is hard to really eradicate because you have the more or less chaotic air sounds. The hum of the compressor audition has a really good hum filter and it works well without killing all the bass, which is also a solution. Just not as hi fi a solution. The air noise is harder, but the generic de noise can tame some of it. That is the one where you need to be careful not to over do it though as the artifacts sound worse than the noise.

FWIW, I truly believe far better things are coming. I have one de noise and de verb thing that are AI based and they are amazing but not super good for what we are doing, as they tend to see what we WANT as the noise unless out stuff is loud. Right now the model seems tuned for human speech so moans and breath get chopped. For fun I ran the Apollo 10 landing audio through it. Lots of hiss and rasp and static and the beeps. In the ultra mode it was like just the words, and it changed the voice a bunch, on a totally quiet background. It was almost spooky, but it also took all of the beeps out and I could swear the voice also seems less emotional. Someone needs to train that model on sex sounds. so it knows the kinds of sounds to keep. I have another toy (demucs) that will split a song into vocals, drums, bass, guitar, piano, and other, and it is cool loading them all up in audacity at once and being able to solo and mute the different channels, but ever more so, it is again almost sppooky how good it is at picking the pieces out. If it can tell a guitar from a voice it may be able to seperate sex sounds from the radio or tee vee with the right training.
mikado61

Post by mikado61 »

when i was younger my sister's room was beside mine. Every two weeks she used to invite her boyfriend at home. So i used listen to them it was so exciting, i was a lucky guy 'cause ofen her panties from the next days was easy to find in the basket of the bathroom. I often jerk in her panties or sniffing while she was moaning