Problem using iPhone to listen to files

For "how to do this" questions and answers, notes, instructions
mkr

Problem using iPhone to listen to files

Post by mkr »

I used to be able to use the opera mini browser to listen to files but the last several months or so it doesn't work on my iPhone 6. Usually it keeps asking me to login or says I'm not authorized to listen to the video. This is after I have said to save the password, accept cookies, etc. Any suggestions on how to fix this issue or maybe suggest a different browser than opera or safari that will work?
sc0tt-uk
Knight

Re: Problem using iPhone to listen to files

Post by sc0tt-uk »

Yep, seeing the same behaviour here. It's a shame. You'd think that such a popular forum software as this would have some optimizations for mobile platforms...

Yeppie, does it? Is there anything you can do?
reggind
Knight

Post by reggind »

A while back I was having a similar issue but with my regular web browser. I am not sure if I have been lucky as of late or what but things seem to be happier for me now. Clicking the box to keep me logged in helps as does posting a lot. Dunno why but that really seems to help.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

sc0tt-uk wrote:Yep, seeing the same behaviour here. It's a shame. You'd think that such a popular forum software as this would have some optimizations for mobile platforms...

Yeppie, does it? Is there anything you can do?
There is a new branch of phpBB which is completely rewritten. Some functionalities of the old branch aren´t available in the new one yet but it claims to be ready for mobile devices. I planned to migrate to the new version after moving the community to a dedicated server in summer but I will think about installing it earlier now.
Sexsounds are Poetry for Adults
mkr

Post by mkr »

That would be great! It gets old just looking at the YouTube links because that's all that works lol. Do you think when you replace the old version with the new that I'll be able to use safari to listen to files or just opera? I really don't care which browser it works in; I was just curious.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

I guess it should work on all browsers but all I know so far is the announcement on the phpbb website, saying:
Responsive Theme:
Our default style, prosilver, has been completely overhauled to ensure a modern experience on all of your devices. Give it a try on a tablet or smart-phone.
mkr

Post by mkr »

Ok when do you think you'll upgrade? Please let us know when you do. Thanks.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

mkr wrote:Ok when do you think you'll upgrade? Please let us know when you do. Thanks.
You will notice as the look of this site is going to change to the standard theme. I have lots of work to do at the moment so I can´t promise a quick installation.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

As I don´t have the pleasure to own such a wonderful device: Are there any improvements for the iPhone users now that the new software has been installed?
mkr

Post by mkr »

I am still getting the "you are not authorized to download or view attachment" and I continuously have to log in, even after I have clicked "remember me" and saved my password on my phone. Any suggestions? Is the software fully installed now? I do notice the new look of the site and everything is in blue now. It all looks good; I just want to hear the files!
mkr

Post by mkr »

I think I figured it out. Using the opera mini web browser, I looked through the settings and "opera turbo" is the best and fastest option to use and that's what I had been using. I switched the setting to "opera mini" which is a slower setting and it has worked fine since then. Now sometimes I get a "live broadcast" so I can't rewind or skip ahead but other times it"s normal. But I can at least hear them now. If anything changes I'll post it on here.
Anonymous3

Post by Anonymous3 »

New member chiming in here. I haven't been able to get anything going using safari. I haven't tried opera yet. I wasn't sure if it's because I'm brand new (registered today) or if it was a site thing.
Cheers.
yeppie
Site Admin

Post by yeppie »

Welcome Saint,
as far as I understand this thread, it is very clear that safari doesn´t work with the forum software but opera mini does, regardless if you are a new member or a part of the community since long.
Anonymous3

Post by Anonymous3 »

Yeppie,
Thanks for the welcome! Yep Safari is a bust, but opera seems to sort of work. I've switched it to "opera mini" as per a suggestion above and that works best. I do get the you don't have permission message about 50% of the time. Other times (usually for older posts) there isn't a file at all (which I suspect might mean it was deleted by the user). But newer posts do seem to work great. So far I'm loving it.

I travel for a living and while I've never thought to record anything, I've heard my share of love songs. I'll be in Vegas next week for a conference and I hope to get something good.
Cheers.
instruments

Post by instruments »

I can't seem to find anything that lets me FFWD and REW on iPhone. I am only getting to listen to a looping 1st minute of a clip. Please help